GreatOutdoors.com Search
File Not found on S3 server:
array (
  'int' => 403,
)
Everest 2009 Home Sponsored by National Geographic Books

At the South Col Waiting for High Winds to Abate for Summit Attempt

By Ed Viesturs - May 17th, 2009 6:46 am GMT -0700

Via Satellite Phone - LISTEN IN!

Hi Everyone, it’s Ed Viesturs calling, May 17 about 6:45 pm. We are here at the South Col, 26,000 feet. We had a pretty blustery day, We left Camp III about a quarter to seven, all told it took us about four and a half hours to arrive here at Camp IV. The winds been picking up steadily all day. We are still hopeful though that sometime in the next several hours that the winds will die, so we are packed, we are planning to make our bid later this evening, probably around 10 or 11 o’clock tonight and were going to be in a bit of a holding pattern until then.

We don’t know if the wind is going to die enough to allow us to go, the weather report said that it should, and if it does, we’re going to be ready to go about 11 o’clock tonight And if not we’re going to wait and try again tomorrow. I plan to give you a call again once we make the final call to in a few hours. Everything is going well otherwise. We’ve got a great camp here and a great crew of very highly experienced Sherpa with us and we are hopeful that tonight we can pull this off. So I’ll give a call again in a few hours, thanks for checking in. Ed Viesturs signing out again for GreatOutdoors.com


Found In:

Comments

Good luck 7 timer

May the Gods be with you and your whole team at camp 4 and bc BE SAFE bill from arvada co.

Posted on May 17, 2009 - 9:00am
by Bill

Ed (and team) rules!

Best of luck to all of you! Stay safe and have a good summit climb. I've really enjoyed following the expedition on greatoutdoors.com. Thank you, and God bless.

Posted on May 17, 2009 - 7:31am
by Chris

© 2011 GreatOutdoors.com